Son of the Devil
15th Aug, 1991, Thursday
Was a Hectic
day today… considering this small town and my profession.
Checked 3
dogs…one with an upset stomach other with a broken leg… and the third one with
a nasty wound on its head….poor bastard was whining and bleeding profusely,
stitched him and sent him on his way with his master- a little boy of around
13.
I sat in my
clinic alone till late even though I knew it was pointless expecting any
patients this late….read few old books…
Passing time
is difficult these days…
I don’t know
if I would continue this diary writing habit or not…read in a magazine that it
will help to calm my nerves… let’s hope
that’s right
Otherwise
this dear Diary thing…ain’t worth a shit…
20th Aug, 1991, Tuesday
Hypocrites -
that’s what these church produces in masses…or any other religion for that
matter…people blinded by faith; licking boots of some old man reading shit from
a dusty old book…
I am drunk
and I am angry…. Heard the news quite late…
Will’s
mother passed away…
It’s hard to
say when…poor old woman’s corpse was rotting when they found her… maybe it was
the stink that bought them to her doors…
I don’t
socialize much but I knew her quite well…everyone in the town knew her…
A proper God
fearing Christian woman… she never missed even a single Sunday…
And what
good did it do to her…abandoned by her husband, then son and then the society…
the church doesn’t gives a fuck.
Aye… there
was a fancy funeral…fancy words…and fake tears…but that’s what they are…fake
people and fake tears…
I didn’t
bother to attend the funeral…although went to visit her grave to pay my
respects…afterwards….
Maybe I am
depressed…also I am drinking too much these days…
It helps me
in my loneliness…
Mary still
isn’t talking to me…she’s resting in her room now…
This diary
is all I have got now… I will try to write often…
21 Aug, 1991, Wednesday
Had a great
start today….woke up early…completed all chores…even went for a jog…. Haven’t
even touched alcohol…
I vowed to
myself to make things better…
Clinic was
fine… Prescribed few medicines for a pet cat which belonged to a little girl,
even gave her a candy…her innocent smile lifted up my spirits.
I also
bought Jasmine flowers for Mary…her favourite…
Well that
didn’t quite work out well….got in a huge fight with her when I tried giving
her the flowers….
But I won’t
write about any of that instead I will stay in my “Be positive” attitude and
write about the good things….
I know these
things take time….
I love Mary,
and will give her all the time that she needs….
Three years
have been passed since I first met her. Ours was a very ordinary love story.
She was a
sweet simple small town girl with a sick dog and I was a young Vet in the
initial days of my practise…
We instantly
took a liking for each other….I still don’t know when exactly did I fell in
love with her…everything happened so fast...it was perfect...only after 6
months I was on my knees proposing her…
I don’t know
how things got so bad… what happened to her…
All I know
is that I love her with all of my heart…and will do anything to make my wife
happy….this storm will pass…
It feels
weird to write these words in this old dusty book but it sure takes away my
emotional baggage….
MARY I LOVE
YOU….
24th Aug, 1991, Saturday
Things are
bad…
Maybe not
the worst but still pretty bad… the pile of bills just keep getting bigger… I
wasn’t very financially well to begin with in the first place…
And to add
to that not a single patient today…
Got few
calls from the bank….went to visit the fuckers to ask for some extension on my
payment… it’s not that vets make great money.
Found a poor
homeless guy moaning in pain on the road while returning… fractured leg…was a
hit and run case…few people gathered to sympathize but none of them bothered to
help… gave him a lift to the nearest hospital…
The poor
bastard didn’t had any money….so I ended up paying for his bills…
Sometimes I
think I am Crazy…shouldn’t have helped him…nobody cares…why should I give a
fuck…already have enough on my plate.
Saw my face
in the mirror today after a long time…
Grey hair
are clearly visible now on my head and so are the wrinkles….my eyes were
bloodshot due to constant drinking of gin and sleeplessness. Gosh I am under
weather…
The migraines
and nightmares aren’t helping either
Both have
increased significantly in duration as well as intensity….Damn I am fucked up…
I have to
find a way to make more money…. It would have been quite manageable when Mary
had a job but in her condition obviously she can’t support now…
I have to
take care of her…she’s my family…
I will do a
part time job, nightshifts, overtime anything to secure my family’s future…. But
after the delivery
Right now
she needs me…even though she doesn’t approve of me…
Till then I
have to cut down expenses…these stupid Gin bottles are becoming an addiction…
AND STOP
HELPING RANDOM PEOPLE YOU FUCKING HUMANITARIAN…!!
25th Aug, 1991, Sunday
Had a
disturbing night yesterday…didn’t get enough sleep…
Was awoken
repeatedly by disturbing nightmares…couldn’t remember much but only the one in
which Mary was divorcing me…just shudder to think about it…
The
following day just fuelled them…
Today I
firmly tried talking to Mary…to sort the situation…to at least communicate with
each other….
She just
lost it…had an outburst…
I tried
talking sense to her, reasoning with her... but all in vain…
The tantrum
she threw…screaming, crying…using cuss words…even got violent at one point when
she threw a frying pan at me…
So now to
add to my migraines I have two stitches on my forehead.
So here I
sit…in my study…scribbling in an old diary…
While my
wife still remains locked up in her room…I can still hear occasional sobs
though the walls.
I can
literally feel the negativity in my house now…
My emotions are
also rogue nowadays…at times I feel outraged at Mary, don’t she know me at all…don’t
she know how much I love her…care about her…
Other times
I just feel utter helplessness.
I feel our
marriage is failing…like someone or something is breaking us apart.
…don’t want
to lose her…I have nobody in this world except her.
No wonder
the nightmares.
31st Aug, 1991, Saturday
Things are quiet from past few days…if not better.
Mary is now on sleeping pills…she has gone quiet.
I on the other hand am constantly sleep deprived. But
quite well for now.
The other day, I visited the park…had quite a time
watching the kids playing, even pushed the swing for a few of them. It almost
feels otherworldly to see kids with their mothers and fathers…laughing smiling
playing….I feel envious.
Past couple of days were good business wise. Attended
quite a handful of patients. I had to sell few of my old possessions...books,
my old guitar. Nevertheless I paid the amount due to the bank.
While going through the old books in the attic I found
an old family photograph of me and my father.
Although I consider myself a cold and calculating…son
of a bitch, hardly emotional but today I just broke down crying with the
photograph in my hand.
Hours went by as I sat and sobbed like a kid alone in
the attic…vaguely remembering my childhood…
Our little home, my religious mother, her smile…the
smell of her baked pancakes…My father…an honest and hardworking wood cutter…our
poverty…my selling of newspapers…the days which we spent together…grew
together…the good…the bad…
I want a happy family for myself…at least a normal
one, is it too much to ask for?
Maybe the lack of social contact, depression and
loneliness is having a toll on me.
I have to keep a grip on myself…for Mary…
4th Sept, 1991, Wednesday
I have been
ill from the last three days…was not able to go to the clinic.
The
migraines are bad… the nightmares worse…
Last night I
dreamt that Mary was running away from me…I was chasing after her…urging her to
come back to me…she seemed afraid, desperate to get away from me…and then
before I could save her a truck hit her…it was horrible…too profound…I woke up
drenched in sweat…
I had a
fever today….104 temperature… it took all my will power to just get up and cook
for Mary and feed her…wash her clothes… But she needs to eat properly in her
condition.
Maybe it was my imagination but I noticed the
same fear in her eyes…
I don’t
believe in god or something but it would have been better if I knew some higher
power is watching over me…
I need rest…
5th September, 1991, Thursday
Was feeling
a little better today... went and opened the clinic.
Although not
a single patient came… went through some old books.
Made tea for
myself on the stove…and even had a nap in the clinic. It was refreshing, I
slept a dreamless sleep after a long time.
Made my way
to home in the evening, nothing interesting happened today.
Except maybe
for a pigeon which I found lying on the side of the road on my way home.
It was
unable to fly…I brought it home to examine. Poor creature had a fractured wing.
I bandaged
the poor thing and kept it in my garden for him to recover, even gave him few
bread crumbs and water.
I am going
off to sleep…
8th Sept, 1991, Sunday
I am never
going off to sleep again…
I know and I
accept that I am not living in humane conditions and I am currently under a lot
of stress physically, mentally as well as emotionally yet these night mares are
not justifiable.
They are
repeatedly about Mary now…
I am
constantly seeing her room in my dreams… there is also this shadowy
figure…human like…which is lurking around her. She seems to be terrified of it,
it is harassing her or torturing her in some way… though I can’t tell how…
Last night I
saw that I walked into her room to find her hanging from the ceiling fan…her
neck broken…eyes bulged out…blank but staring at me…most horrible was her
smile….
My very soul
shuddered. These night mares are now in quite a detail.
It seems
like whenever I drift off to sleep some horror movie starts in my head….
Am I losing
my mind…?
Ran into the
local church priest the other day in my neighbourhood.
Although I
tried to avoid him after pleasantries but he seemed keen on chatting. Told me
that I looked like hell… inquired about Mary.
After
formalities, he uneasily mentioned that he senses some evil presence around my
house, something deeply negative.
Gave me a
copy of Holy Bible and his blessings.
Although I
am a non-believer and a man of logic…
I admit I am
quite afraid now…
10th Sept, 1991, Tuesday
My wife Mary
is in her eighth month of pregnancy. She suffered from a severe complication
that required emergency surgery…
When she
woke up I told her the surgery had been successful, her reaction scared me more
than I’ve ever been scared before in my life.
She didn’t
say anything, she just slowly reached down to her belly. Her eyes widened for a
moment, and then she began to laugh. It was deep, humourless cackle; the kind
of laugh that comes from someone who’s cried for so long that they can’t
anymore, and so they laugh in spite and mockery of their pain.
I had to
repress a shudder as I asked her what was wrong, but she ignored me.
Instead of
answering me she began to scream; her whole body shaking as she thrashed and
wailed; tearing out tufts of her hair and throwing them on the ground.
I kept
asking her what wrong but she wouldn’t answer.
All of a
sudden she stopped, and she started laughing again and raised a hand up high.
She paused for a moment …our eyes locked…and she brought her hand down with all
her strength, plunging her long fingernails into her stomach.
She was
cackling like a madwoman, tearing at her stomach as if she was trying to rip it
open.
I grabbed
hold of her wrists and managed to wrestle them down next to her sides. I had to
use the restraints on the rails of the bed. Once I did her whole body suddenly
went limp…as if she was too weak to move.
I sat down
beside her bed; I could hear my voice shaking as I tried desperately to calm
her down.
“It’s all
right, honey. It was just a small complication after all. Soon we’ll have a
beautiful baby boy. Our son. It’ll all be worth it then.”
She slowly
turned her head towards me. Her eyes were dead, devoid of humanity. She began
whispering, her head lolling limply around on her shoulders. I leaned in close
to hear what she was saying. It was just one sentence, repeated over and over.
“GET IT OUT
OF ME…”
15th Sept, 1991, Sunday
She hasn't
spoken to me since past five days.
Sometimes
she lay there totally limp and motionless and other times she would scream and
pull at her restraints until her wrists bled.
I tried
calming her down, telling her that this was a good thing…
I brought
her baby clothes and favourite foods…
But nothing
I do seems to reach her…
17th Sept, 1991, Tuesday
She went
into contractions…
As soon as
the baby came out, it was clear that something had gone horribly wrong.
The stench
was horrible…a sick, nauseatingly sweet smell…
But it was
nothing compared to the baby itself…if you could even call it that.
Its head was
overly large, its eyes bulging and bloodshot, and the skin was black and
ragged…
Slouching
off in my hands when I touched it…
18th Sept, 1991, Wednesday
It was a
close call, but Mary survived the childbirth…even though my son did not.
She at least
seems to be doing better now that the pregnancy is over…
Me…I’m doing
worse…
I just keep
going over everything horrible that has happened… in my head.
It tore my
heart out when she gave birth to my stillborn son third time in a row.
It was even worse when I had to force-feed her those pills so that I could perform the surgery to put the dead baby back into her stomach and sew it shut...!!
It was even worse when I had to force-feed her those pills so that I could perform the surgery to put the dead baby back into her stomach and sew it shut...!!
What we both need now is time. Time is a great healer.
Maybe this time She will deliver the baby alive. We will finally become parents.
I know she would be great mom. And we will live happily ever after !!
Comments
Post a Comment